Personal & Family Life...
- Super Bowl party last Sunday with friends. We've been getting together for 25 years! Who knows who won? We just had fun getting together, eating, enjoying each others' company, and watching a few commercials. (grin)
- Valentine's Day - My wife and I actually celebrated it last night at a neat and cozy wine bar in town. It was her retirement party as well. We're excited about the next chapter in our lives - moving to Puerto Rico. More about that in the days ahead.
- Hymn Discussion - for Wednesday Night Bible Study we're going over the stories of our favorite hymns. This past week we talked about "Just a Closer Walk With Thee" and looked at the message of the hymn, its history, and how it has impacted us. Great discussion.
- My Dad's Birthday - My folks died a number of years back, but I recalled his birthday (1916) this past week. The celebration of my Mom's birthday (1921) is next week. Such memories.
- Selling Items - Since we're moving to PR this summer, we're getting rid of practically all our household items. So I'm listing books on Pango. (Please buy!) And my wife is posting items on FB. We're getting weird responses like: "Is this still available." Yes, are in you interested? "Pass." Goofballs! lol
- Cats, Cats, and More Cats - We have 4 strays that we feed each morning and evening. This past week it iced and snowed on Thursday and were able to get 2 of them inside (semi-feral!). But the other 2 had to make do in the garage with a heated pad in a sheltered box. They survived. Looks like a repeat performance this week with freezing temperatures in the forecast. Dang cats.
- Grrrr. Medication. Finished 2 weeks of Fluorouracil cream on my face and forehead to treat actinic keratoses (pre-cancerous skin lesions caused by swimming every day in the California sun growing up!). Now I just have blisters all over and my face is ugly - uglier than it usually is! lol
- Walked 6 miles on Saturday - part of our training to get in 15-mile-a-day shape for our hike in Spain this coming May. We're doing 6 days on the Camino de Santiago, just north of Portugal. Going with our two adult daughters and their significants and two other couples. Should be wow!
- Finally, woke up this morning to the news that my swimmer friend from college who was fighting cancer, gained the victory in Jesus and is now with the Lord. Her testimony of trust and encouragement was so powerful these past 6 months. Pray for Leigh's family, tho. Thanks.
Books & Such...
- Finished 3 books this past week. Doesn't mean I started and finished them all in one week! Will likely post reviews on Goodreads this coming week for:
- 1) Perry's World by Jack C. Haldeman II (Star Trek #13, paperback, 1980, 132 pages) - Pretty good. 3 Stars.
- 2) Echoes of Valor by Josh Hayes (mil-sf, ebook, 2019, book 2 of his 3 book Valor series) - Really good. 4 stars.
- 3) So You Have My Secret Baby by Elizabeth Maddrey (Christian romance, 2021, book 4 in the 6 book series: So You Want to be a Billionaire) - Very enjoyable 4.5 stars.
- Omega Sanction by Bob Mayer (special ops thriller, 1999, book 4 in his Shadow Warriors series)
- So You Need a Fake Relationship by Elizabeth Maddrey (book 5 in her Billionaire series)
Stalled or still on my nightstand/tablet...
- Jewel in the Skull by Michael Moorcock (fantasy, 1967, paperback, 176 pages, first book in the Dorian Hawkmoon series) - having trouble getting past the half-way point.
- Enemy of Valor by Josh Hayes (mil-sf, final book in his Valor series) - want to start this soon, but have a few other books I need to finish up first. Dang.
- Starship Gilead: Relics of Utopia by John Graves (Mil SF, 2022). An ARC I need to get to soon!
- Naked in Death by J. D. Robb (Nora Roberts) (futuristic suspense, 1995) - this is the first of 50+ books in this series, but I won't tackel all 50 lol. I still need to start this one beyond the "first line."
Well, that's about it for now. Comment below and share any updates you want or a link to Sunday Post. Thanks for dropping by!
P.S. I'm also the author of Ma Tutt's Donut Hut, a curious cozy mystery/magical cat adventure. My goal is to finish book 2 in the series this summer. Let me know if you want to review it. I can send a complimentary e-book copy (or discounted paperback) to those who are truly interested.